Thursday, November 1, 2007

Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

I know we talked about this a while ago, but I feel the need to bring it up again. I don’t know about the rest of you, but I am absolutely sick of Wikipedia. I understand the concept for the purpose of Wikipedia. The creator wanted to make a place where intelligent people can go to share their knowledge with the world. Unfortunately, the creator did not know what a bad idea and impossible task this was.

Wikipedia is a place where you can go to find information on absolutely everything you can possibly think of. It can range from historical events, like the Civil War, to random stupid stuff like paper. What impresses me the most is even the stupid stuff will have detailed, in depth description and analysis. The problem with this site is that anybody who has access to the internet can change the information at any point. How is this a good idea? This turns the entire website into a giant waste of time. It’s not only stupid to base your own opinion or knowledge off of a random source, it is not even allowed for citation purposes in class rooms.

I understand that I am going off on a random tangent, but every time I look something up on an internet search engine, a Wikipedia link is within the first 5 choices. If I want to learn about something, I was actual, concrete facts I can use. Not somebody’s random opinion or idea of how things are.

No comments: