Friday, November 30, 2007

What Channel was it on?

Thursday night the 10-1 Green Bay Packers faced off against the 10-1 Dallas Cowboys in what was promised to be one of the best games of the year between two of the best teams in the league. It did turn out to be a pretty good game where the Cowboys won 37-27, despite Brett Favre getting hurt early on. Not that I would know much about the game anyways because it was nowhere to be found on television. That’s because the game was on the NFL Network which only a few select cable and satellite providers carry. For a game of this magnitude this game should have been on Monday night football, or Sunday night football on FREE channels. Instead they stuck it on a Thursday on a channel that so few people get. Maybe the NFL didn't think these two teams would be this good at this point in the season and it wouldn't matter as much; however the NFL has "flex scheduling" now which allows them to move games around to put the better match-ups on prime-time television. The NFL has already moved two New England Patriot games to prime time later in the season because of their quest at a perfect record. All of this in turn probably turned potentially one of the most watched games of the season into one of the least watched of the season. It’s a shame so many people missed this game. The NFL, NBA, MLB should remain on free television so diehard fans don't have to pay extra money on ridiculously overpriced packages on Comcast and DirecTV just to watch their home team play.

5 comments:

bears171 said...

Yea I agree I was upset too that I wasn’t able to watch the game last night. I understand why this game wasn’t put on Monday or Sunday night though because when they made the schedule in the begging of the year they probably had no idea the packers were going be 10-1 and they can’t just switch them around with another team. I do think however that every game should be on a channel that everyone basically gets like espn.

bears171 said...

Yea I agree I was upset too that I wasn’t able to watch the game last night. I understand why this game wasn’t put on Monday or Sunday night though because when they made the schedule in the begging of the year they probably had no idea the packers were going be 10-1 and they can’t just switch them around with another team. I do think however that every game should be on a channel that everyone basically gets like espn.

bears171 said...

Yea I agree I was upset too that I wasn’t able to watch the game last night. I understand why this game wasn’t put on Monday or Sunday night though because when they made the schedule in the begging of the year they probably had no idea the packers were going be 10-1 and they can’t just switch them around with another team. I do think however that every game should be on a channel that everyone basically gets like espn.

Saint_Louis_Cardinals said...

I agree it is a shame that fans do not get to see two fo the top three teams in the NFL record wise play, but look at where NFL Commisioner and owners are coming from. If they get a certaing perecentage of viewers to watch the game on those channels that have to be payed for they get a pecentage from that cable or satelite company. The NFL is a business and no matter how much money it makes a year all business owners do whatever it takes to make extra money even if it is two of the most popular franchises in the history of the sport.

cubsfan4life15 said...

Yes, I also agree that NFL, MLB and NBA all remain on free channels. I am a die hard Packers fan and was extremely mad when I found out this game wound not be televised on national T.V. If I were to order the NFL network, which is the station the game was televised on, it would only be good for a few weeks at the end of the football season and I guarantee that this channel is not cheap. It would be a waste of money just to watch one great game. The NFL should have looked around to free T.V. stations and seen which one would give the best offer to broadcast the game on their network. This way, the NFL gets money from the certain television station, the television station gets money and great ratings, and the fans are happy. God help them if they pull another stunt like they did on me again!