Thursday, December 6, 2007

Children Driving

I was 4 years old the first time I got behind the wheel of a car. My grandfather taught me how to drive out in the country roads just outside of Chenoa, Illinois. He also taught me brother, who is four years older than me at the same time. My grandfather would take us out whenever we stayed up in Chenoa with him and grandmother. This scared my mother to no end. But through this, I became the driver I am today. I’ve had only one accident, and that was completely not my fault. I’ve had no speeding or parking tickets, and I’ve become well aware of what a car can do. Learning how to drive so young gave me perspective and allowed me to learn over a longer period of time than those who simply started driving when they got their permit. We’re raising the number of required hours in the car because there are so many accidents among teenagers, but if they learned to drive the way I did, they would be better off and there would be less traffic accidents.

1 comment:

aka_me said...

I agree that learning how to drive is something really important. I think that people should be allowed to start learning how to drive younger, but have to drive with a permit longer. I think four is a bit young, but it is smart to start teaching kids about driving safety. When kids are exposed to the idea of actually driving, they will be more knowledgeable and aware when they actually get their permit and get behind the wheel. I wish my parents had been more involved in teaching me to drive. They hardly wanted to take me driving when I had m permit. I would feel a lot safer behind the wheel if I was more confident in my driving abilities.